28 February 2013

Translation Time

     Today I managed to learn a few German words. Many of the documents I have from my Baba's house are in German, which I don't know at all. Luckily, during my presentation last class I got an offer from Nick to help with translation. His minor is German and in a weird coincidence he has lived in Stuttgart, the town name that is on many of the documents.

     Two and a half hours and a huge bowl of chips later, we had made our way through the binder. Now knowing what the documents are and what they say in English, I can get to work on the formatting of the digital book. I haven't decided exactly how the book will go, but I like the idea of being able to have the english translations ready to read while still being able to look at the original documents.

For example:


Ukrainian Relief Committee in Pinsk
27 June 1943
Soborna Street, Number 57/17
Individual number, 292

It is hereby certified that Kochnowitsch, Sophie was born in 1924, in Stawok, in the area of Pinsk in the Reichskomissariat* and is of former Polish citizenship, and consequently does not belong as an Eastern worker. The named person belongs to the Greek Orthodox Church. This certificate is for the purpose of being to be shown to the relevant authorities in the Reich.

Stamp: Ukrainian Relief Committee in Pinsk

*Reichskommisariat = German area of control in the Ukraine

No comments:

Post a Comment