24 February 2013

A Change in a Very Awesome Direction

     As previously mentioned, my biggest block with this project has been finding information beyond the (extremely basic) notes I have. Progress has been slow at best. I had actually reached a point where I decided that if I still hadn't found anything by Reading Week I was going to change my project. While I of course still intended to make a comprehensive collection of my family history, the nearing deadline  made it necessary to consider a different topic for my academic digital humanities project.

     After arriving home for Reading Week, the tide turned. While doing a very thorough cleaning at my Baba's house my parents had unearthed a treasure trove of documents and pictures, many from during or just after the war. My Baba had hidden them well, and in the most unorthodox of places - behind closets, between the pages of magazines, amongst items in the old basement pantry. When I asked my dad why she had stored them that way, he replied that it was likely due to fear. Having been torn from her home without warning during WWII, she had lived in a world where there was no time to save precious family items and heirlooms before being removed. It's very likely that she hid all of what she was able to save and then received in immigrating to Canada because a part of her wanted to be prepared in case what had happened in Europe happened again in Canada. 

     Looking through what has been saved is a conflicting experience emotionally. There is of course sadness at the loss and terror represented by things like work camp paperwork pictures of relatives my Baba never got to see again. But there is also pride at the strength of my Baba and Gido (grandfather), and a kind of happiness in looking over their immigration documents and Canadian citizenship papers. My family history is layered in many ways- politically, historically, and emotionally. That is part of what makes it so valuable and important to explore, document, and treasure. 

     While I am still in the midst or sorting and digitally converting the documents and photos, I will include a few examples of what the collection contains in this post (click them to enlarge). After all, part of what will be so awesome about the digital portion of the project is waiting to reveal some of the pieces!

An envelope of a letter sent (to?) my Gido in Stuttgart, which is the name of the work camp he was sent to.  I believe it was also the name of the town. 

One of many mystery documents in German that I am going to have to find some way to translate. The name stamp on this letter is also on the back of a picture of my Gido and a group of men holding shovels, as well as a few other documents.

     I am so excited to really dig into this project. Now the possibilities seem numerous indeed!


2 comments:

  1. If you can't find a way to translate this, I know some people who could possibly help you out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind, seems you got some in-class help :)

      Delete