17 March 2013

Scan, research, write, and repeat...


     Currently I’m trying to sort through all the information I have and deciding what order to place things in the digital book. Chronologically obviously, but I still need to group the documents within themselves somehow so they don’t seem too randomized. Some of them are attached to places, but not all. I’m leaning towards grouping by type or at least what the documents relate to broadly:

1.    the correspondence of relatives
2.     the work camp
3.     the American displaced persons camp 
4.     the Canadian displaced persons camp
5.     Canadian immigration request
6.     Canadian Citizenship
7.     German pension

     While the German documents are worked through translation wise (and all scanned), I still have some postcards and other things that are in Polish, Ukrainian, and a sort of hybrid Polish-Ukrainian. There is a chance that someone my Aunt knows might be available to translate them, but it’s not confirmed yet.

     The other main issue I’m working on is how to intersperse relevant historical information into the digital book. The documents are certainly interesting on their own, but I think being able to read and understand them in relation to their historical context is what will really tie the book together. I have managed to find two relevant academic booms on Ukraine: one on Ukrainian national identity and society throughout the 20th century, and one specifically on Ukraine and the Third Reich. I also managed to find a historical atlas with maps of Ukraine and the surrounding borders before, during, and after the war. I am worried that my academic sources, while very relevant, are dated. It is an unfortunate truth that extensive (and recent) academic work on Ukraine in general is sparse and difficult to find.   

No comments:

Post a Comment